Michigan Memorial Park

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, 2007 - History - 128 pages
0 Reviews
In 1926, a former two-time University of Michigan All-American football hero decided that a pastoral area of Huron Township could be transformed into a cemetery. Two years later, Michigan Memorial Park opened its gates to begin serving the needs of this growing community tucked away in a corner of the township located southwest of Detroit. Bordering on the peaceful Huron River, this former home to the Wyandott tribe and later French settlers has become a sprawling 300-acre parcel of land still surrounded by woods and farmland. It is Michigan's largest nondenominational cemetery whose ownership has remained in the same family for four generations. Thousands of trees, a plethora of sculptures and fountains, and swan-filled ponds adorn the gardenlike grounds adding to the tranquility experienced by all those who visit. Michigan Memorial Park has remained one of the pillars of the community, not only providing a resting place for many thousands who have passed away but also giving back to the community through its involvement in civic activities.
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgments
6
Not Just Another Cemetery
19
Common People Uncommon Lives
79
The Legacy Continues
121
Copyright

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2007)

Gail D. Hershenzon is an elementary teacher in the Detroit Public School District. She volunteers at Woodmere Cemetery, helping those doing family research and conducting cemetery tours. Hershenzon speaks to genealogical groups to facilitate cemetery research.

Bibliographic information