Jewish Women in America: A-L
Paula Hyman, Deborah Dash Moore, American Jewish Historical Society
Routledge, 1998 - History - 1770 pages
This encyclopedia provides the first standard reference work on the lives, history and activities of Jewish women in the United States. Covering a period which extends from the arrival of the first Jewish women in North America in 1654 to the present, this two-volume set presents the most comprehensive and detailed portrait of American Jewish women ever published, and brings together for the first time the wealth of recent scholarship on this subject.
* Biographical entries on over 800 individual women.
* 128 topical articles on organizations such as Hadassah, the National Council of Jewish Women, Mizrachi, and the Ladies' Garment Workers' Union.
* Major essays on Jewish women's participation in the movement for women's suffrage, social reform, civil rights, and the recent women's movement.
* The activities of Jewish women in politics, business, education, the arts, and religion.
* A readable, inviting format with over 500 large photographs.
* Bibliographies at the end of each entry which include overviews of major scholarship in the field, complete citations of more general works and citations of additional bibliographical and reference sources.
* The comprehensive index includes citations to every substantive discussion in the entries as well as all proper names appearing in the text, such as organizations, book, song and film titles, schools, and individuals.
The "Encyclopedia" provides information on American Jewish women in all fields of endeavor, and pays special attention to the work of women in the arts, academics, law, the labor movement, education, science, medicine, journalism and publishing, and on the lives of ordinary Jewish women during all time periods and in all regions of the United States.
What people are saying - Write a review
Jewish women in America: an historical encyclopediaUser Review - Not Available - Book Verdict
Hyman (modern Jewish history, Yale) and Moore (history, Vassar) have put together a primarily biographical encyclopedia of American Jewish women. Their book contains 800 entries on women from all ... Read full review
Suddenly Jewish: Jews Raised as Gentiles Discover Their Jewish Roots
Limited preview - 2000
Her Works Praise Her: A History of Jewish Women in America from Colonial ...
Hasia R. Diner,Beryl Lieff Benderly
No preview available - 2003