White Space is Not Your Enemy: A Beginner's Guide to Communicating Visually Through Grahic, Web & Multimedia Design
Designing a brochure or web site without an art background? Step away from the computer and read this breezy introduction to visual communications first. Written for non-designers, White Space is Not Your Enemy is a practical graphic design and layout text introducing the concepts and practices necessary for producing effective visual communications across a variety of formats, from print to Web.
This beautifully illustrated, full-color book covers the basics to help you develop your eye and produce attractive work. Topics include:
* The basics of effective design that communicates its intended message
* Pre-design planning
* 13 Layout Sins to avoid
* Basic typography
* Working with color
* Storyboarding for video, Web, and presentions
* Information graphics
* Mini Art School--all the basics in one chapter
* Outputting your work
* Finally--the basics of layout, design, and visual communication for print and web in one easy-to-digest book!
* "Try This" sections in each chapter include fun, hands-on activities to develop skills.
* The companion web site includes text and photo support material; video clips that put the principles in practice; interactive multimedia components; and links.
What people are saying - Write a review
LibraryThing ReviewUser Review - ilokhov - LibraryThing
One of the very first books I picked up when I got interested in web design and development. The book provides a nice introduction to design across all domains. Since it covers many areas (design ... Read full review
LibraryThing ReviewUser Review - s2art - LibraryThing
A quick flip on the pages of this book and already I was changing my website. Hopefully this will turn into a valuable resource both as a pedagogical tool and a reference for my own 'designs'. Read full review
for research brainstorming
the workseverytime layout
13 amateur errors
the elements principles of design
when do i need one?
where to put your visuals type for impact
what you dont know can hurt you
choosing using color
maximum information in minimum space
planning visual storytelling
sometimes more is more
starring on the small screen
an overview of papers printing
now that you know enough to be dangerous thanks for stopping by
working with photos illustrations