This history offers a powerful and original account of Germany from the eve of the French Revolution to the end of World War One.
- Written by a leading German historian who has transformed the historiography of modern Germany over the past two decades.
- Covers the whole of the long nineteenth century and emphasizes continuities through this period.
- Brings together political, social and cultural history.
- Combines a comprehensive account with a feel for the human dimension and the history of everyday life.
- Accessible to non-specialists, thought-provoking and entertaining.
- The updated second edition includes a revised bibliography.