« PreviousContinue »
At the shop of ALEXANDER DONALDSON, two
doors west from Norfolk ftreet in the Strand, may be had the following Books, all printed by him, which are sold from thirty to fifty per cent. cheaper than the usual London prices.
1. The whole Works of Alexander Pope, Esq;: With his last corrections, additions, and improvements; as also all his notes ; complete in four large volumes 12mo. Price only 12.s. bound.
2. Mr. Pope's translation of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, complete in two large vals. (wanting notes, which are chiefly critical on the Greek language, and consequently of no use to most readers). Price, only 7 s. 6 d. bound. The London edition in 7 vols. fells at a guinea.
3. Mr. Shenstone's Works in Verse and Profe. Price 5 s. bound. When this book was published the London edition was 12 s.
4. The adventures of Gil Blas, 4 vols. Price 8 s. bound,
5. the History of the renowned Don Quixote de la Mancha, in 4 vols. Price 8 s. bound.
6. Dr. Tiffot's Advice to the people, concerning their Health, a new edition, 2 vols. Price 5 s, bound.
7. Dr. Mead's whole Medical Works, complete in 3 vols. Price 7.6 d. bound. - The London ea dition was formerly in 6 vols. 8vo. and fold for about i l. 7 s. The whole is included in this new edition for three half crowns.
8. Titus Livius's Roman History, from the building of the city to the end of the com:nonwealth, 8 large vols. Price 1 l. bound. The London es di-ion fails for 1.d. 16 s.
9. Plutarch's lives of illustrious men, Grecians. and Romans, translated from the Greek, large print, with historical, explanatory, and geographical notes, 6 large vols. Price 18 s. bound. The London edition fells for il. 1os.
10. Rollin's ancient History, 10 vols. Price i l. 55. bound.
11. The Duke of Sully's memoirs, complete in. 3 large volumes 12mo. Price 15 s. bound. The London Quarto edition sells for 2 1. 2 s.
-12. Boffuet Bishop of Meaux's-history of France, from the time of Pharamond, to the reign of Charles IX. (where Sully's Men oirs begin), 4 vols. Price 12 s. bound.
N. B. Sully and Bofluet are printed of a fize, and bound: uniform, to go in fe:s, or may be had seperately. 13. Shakespeare's plays, 8 vols.
Price 16 s. bound..
14. Dr. Whitby's Commentary and Paraphrale. on the New Testament, 2 large vols. 4to. Price 20 s. bound. The London edition sells for 50 s.
15. Seed's Sermons, two vols. Price 5 s. bound. The London edition fills for 10 s.
16. Dr. Tillotson's fermons, 10 vols. Price 1 l.. 5 s. bound.
17. Locke's Effay on Human Understanding, 3 vols. Price 7 s. 6 d. bound.
18. Hervey's Meditations, 2 vols. Price 556 bound.
19. Prideaux's Connections of the history of the Old and New Teflament, 4 vols. 8vo. Price only
rio London edit. sells for 24 s. 20. Dr. i oung's Night Thoughts, a neat ? pocket copy. Price 2 s. o d, bound.
21. The poetical works of James Thomson, Esq; containing the Seasons, and all his other poems, complete in 2 vols. 12mo. bound.
22. Marshal Saxe's Reveries, os, memoirs of the art of war, 8vo. Price 5 s. bound. The London edition sells for 15 s.
N. B. The Publisher had fuits commenced against him in the High Court of Chancery for
14 s. bound.
Price 5 so
printing these three last articles, which are now difmissed, and the last one (Saxe) with costs.
23. Buchanan's history of Scotland, from the earliest accounts of that kingdom to the reign of Queen Mary, (where Dr. Robertson's history be. gins), 2 large volumes 8vo. Price 8 s. bound.
24. The same book on a finer paper. Price 10 s. bound.
25. The Origin of Laws, Arts, and Sciences, translated from the French of the President de Goguet, 3 vols. 8vo. Price 15 s. bound.
26. The Guardian, 2 vols. Price of the fine 5 s. and of the coarse 4 s. bound.
27. Gordon's Universal Accountant and Complete Merchant, where every thing proper for 2 merchant, tradesman, private gentleman, or farmer, as well as for all such as are in public offices, is fully explained, and illustrated with proper examples. The second edition corrected, 2 vols. 8vo. Price 12 s, bound.
28. Thomson's Seasons, with copper-plates. Price 2 s. 6 d. bound.
29. The same book, very elegantly printed on writing-paper, 8vo. Price 3 $. 6 d. gilt back.
30. Thomson's poems, by themselves, (whick completes his poetical works, to such as have formerly had the Seasons). Price 2 s. 6.d bound.
31. A new universal English dictionary, one Jarge volume 8vo. Price 5 s. bound, and the fine paper 6 s. bound.
32. Winflow's anatomy, a new edition, 2 vols. large 8vo. Price 10 s. bound. The London edition
fells at 15 s.
33. Gordon's Book-keeping, (being the best book on that fubject). Price 5 s. bound.
34. The Works of the Author of the Whole Duty of Man, in 4 vols. Price 10 s, bound.
35. The Works of King Charles the First, 2 vols. Price 5 s, bound.
35. Mrs. Rowe's Friendship in Death. Price 2 s. 6 d. bound.
37. Hill's arithmetic, a new edition. Price 3 s. bound.
38. Fisher's arithmetic, a new edition. Price 2 s. bound.
39. The Oeconomy of Human Life, in two parts. .
Price I's. 6 d. gilt back, or I s. plain bound.
40. A select collection of Modern Poems, Price 2 s. bound.
41. Gay's Fables, two parts, large print. Price 2 s. bound.
42. The Devil on Two Sticks, 2 vols. in one. Price 3 s. bound.
43. A select collection of English plays, containing ten tragedies and five comedies, from the best authors, 3 vols. Price 7 s. 6 d. bound.
44. Another collection of plays, 2 vols. Price
45. Voltaire's Candidus, in two parts. Price 2 s. bound.
46. Fontaine's Tales and Novels. Price 2 s. 6 d. bound.
47Fisher's Young man's best companion. Price 2 s. bound.
48. The Free-mason's Pocket-companion. Price 3 s. bound.
5 s. bound.
Alfo about two hundred other articles, of which a catalogue may be had gratis at the shop. A. Donaldson takes this opportunity to return his most grateful thanks to the nobilityo gentry, merchants,an" tradesmen, 'and others, who have countenanced his fcheme for reducing the extravagant price of books, 2nd breaking a dangerous monopoly.