Page images

1855, was apprehended on the 3rd July at Wakefield, and taken before the magistrates, who fined him £1, or to be imprisoned two months.—Charles Finch, a native of Rivenhall, in Essex, and who served in the Land Transport Corps during the Crimean war, has been tried at Chelmsford for the muruer of his sweetheart, and sentenced to be hanged.—Recruiting parlies from the depots of regiments serving in India, and from corps about to embark for that countrv, have been despatched throughout the United Kingdom, in order that the effective strength of each regiment may be made up, the cavalry to 750 sabres, and the infantry to 1,250 men.—Captain Charles Pearson, 1st West India Regiment, Freetown, Sierra Leone, is charged with the murder of Lieut. Watson, of the 3rd West India Regiment.—The estimate of the " extraordinary expenditure" on account of the expedition against Persia is £1,865,435.—The honourable East India Cmipany have been pleased to present the sum of •£1,000 lo Mr. John Anderson, Inspector of Machinery in Woolwich arsenal, as an acknowledgment of their appreciation of the value of his patent bullet machinery, recently introduced into their service in India. — Drum-Major Win. Loonies, 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards, who has for some time past attended at Buckingham Palace for the purpose of teaching the young Prince Arthur the art of military drum-heating, has been presented by her Majesty with a handsome gold watch, engraved with an inscription, also a portrait of his young pupil.—His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, now upon his travels, visited the field of Waterloo on July 8.—The sum required to be voted by Parliament this session towards defraying the expense of the naval and military operations in China beyond the ordinary grants for navy and army services is estimated at £500,000.—The Shah of Persia has conferred the honour of the Order of the Lion and Sun, with the title of Khan, upon Captain H. B. Lynch, C.B.—Letters have been received from Sir James Brooke by his Norfolk friends, in which be states that tranquillity has been restored to the colony, and speaks of its reviving prospects—Twenty thousand letters were received in London by the last overland mail from India.—During the late war the money expended in carrying troops amounted to no less than £5,000,000 in one year, and in the year previous to £3,000,0 0. The number of transports hired was 118.—The mayor and corporation and the borough magistrates of Portsmouth have voted addresses to Major-General Bretor, Lieutenant-Governor of that garrison, <fec, thanking him for his uniform courtesy, and regretting his departure.—The Addiscombe vacation, which commenced on the 24th of June, will terminate on the 4th of August, when the studhs will be resumed. Gun and howitzer practice is to form a very irrportant feature during the next half-year's tuition.—Colonel G. R. Barker, C.B., is to have the chief command of the Royal Artillery force about to proceed to India, and L;eut.-Col. Arthur T. Philpoits the second command.—Temporary pensioners, whose pensions have ceased, and age does not exceed 27, and who are passed as fit by the medical officer, are invited again to enter the service.— In future the decoration of the Bath and other orders will be composed of silver, instead of the tinsel material hitherto used.—The authorities at the Horse Guards have determined that no women or children are to accompany the regiments now under orders to leave this country lor India.—According to recent advices from Malta, Major-General Sir William Reid's resignation has not been accepted ; but leave of absence on sick certificate has been accorded his excellency for two months.


Her Majksty has promptly recognized the spirited conduct of General Hearsay, of the Bengal cavalry, by conferring on him the Knight Commandership of the Bath.—By the promotion of Major-General Mansell to the colonelcy of the 68th Foot, a good service pension of £200 per annum, and an unattached twenty-five shillings per diem,have fallen vacant.—Colonel Crawley has succeeded Captain T. B. Collinson in tlie command of the Royal Engineers at Aldershott.— Brevet-Major C. Buller, rifle brigade, has succeeded Captain Sayer as deputy-assistaut-adjutant-general at Aldershott.—Captain Sheffield, 21st Fusiliers, has ceased to be aide-de-camp to Major-General Trollope, commanding a brigade in Canada.—A vacancy has again occurred at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, in the appointment of a captain of invalids, by the resignation of Captain Mackery, who has sold his commission for the purpose of becoming a settler in New Zealand.—Rear-Admiral Slaughter's out pension has been conferred upon Captain John MacDonell (1810) —His Royal Highness the Duke of Cambridge has been appointed Ranger of Richmond-park, vacant hy'the decease of the Duchess of Gloucester.—Captain John Robb has been appointed naval aide-de-camp to the Queen, vice Rear-Admiral Smart, who has attained flag rank by the death of Admiral Sir R. Howe Biomley.




"Pyi.ades."—Notice is (riven in this Gazette that a second distribution of proceeds arising from the Gaceta, captured on the 14th of January, 1856, by H.MS. Pt/laUes, is in course of payment.

The following are the shares due to an individual in the several classes :—

Flag share
Second class
Third class
Fourth class
Fifth class

"Sampson."—The distribution of proceeds arising from vesse's seized on the coast of Circassia by H.M. steamer Sampson, in May, June, and July, 1854, commenced on Monday, July 13. The following are the shares due to an individual in the several classes :—


"Hecate."—The Accountant-General of the Navy has given notice that preparations are making for the distribution of the proceeds of the supposed Chatswnrth, slave brigantine, captured by the Hecate steam sloop, January 1, 1856.


Court-martial On Board The Flag-ship At Sheermess.—Friday, July 3.—The court assembled this morning at nine o'clock, for the trial of Mr. Richard Livesay, who was arraigned on two charges—1st. For that he, the said Mr. Richard Livesay, being in actual service and full-pay of her Majesty's fleet, and acting mate of and belonging to H.M. sloop Arab, did. on or about the 13lh of May, on the quarter-deck of the said sloop, strike at Senior L cut John Trevenen, bis superior officer. 2nd charge. For tluit lie, the said Mr. Richiinl Livpsay, did, in the presence of Commander Richard Bulkeley Pearse, his commanding officer, on the 14th of May, while investigating the above charge on the quarter-deck of the said ship, and hearing evidence of the senior lieutenant, interrupt that officer and threaten to strike him. Mr. Richard Stephenson appeared for the prisoner, who pleaded Not Guilty. The court was cleared for a short time, and on its being reopened, Mr. William Webb Hayward, the Admiralty solicitor, read over the proceedings and announced that the court found the prisoner guilty of both charges, and the court directed that the prisoner be dismissed from her Majesty's service.

Court-martial On Captain Spratt, R.M.—A naval court-martial assembled on board the flagship Waterloo, Captain Henry Harvey, C.B., Sec, at Sheerness, to try Captain Henry Spratt, of the Royal Marines, serving on board H M.S. President, on the following charge :—For that he, the said Capt. Henry Spratt, being in actual service and full-pay of her Majesty's fleet, and captain of the Royal Marines of and belonging to H.M.S. President, did, on or about the 2!)th day of May, 1857, on the quarter-deck of the said ship, say to Captain Charles Frederick, his commanding officer, that he had acted unjustly, and although warned by the said Captain Charles Frederick that he was in error, did repeat that reproachful assertion, the same being a breach of the articles of war. The court, after deliberating about half an hour, decided that the charges bad been fully proved, and sentenced the prisoner to be reprimanded and to lose one year s time.

Naval Court-martial.—A court-martial was held on board the Nankin, at Hong Kong, on May 22, to try the carpenter for drunkenness and using mutinous expressions towards the first lieutenant. The prisoner was sentenced to be dismissed the service.

Court-martial On A Marine.—A private marine, named Alexander Farmer, belonging to the Royal William, 120, Captain W. J. Williams, was tried by court martial on board the Impregnable flagship at Devonport, for insubordination and throwing his cap iu the lace of the Captain, and sentenced to receive 48 lashes, and he imprisoned 12 months to hard labour.

The Isle Op Peiiim—We learn, says the Pays, that the Tinaum of Muscat and Zanzibar, who recently succeeded his father, lias remonstrated agiinst the English having taken possession of the Island of Peiim, at the entrance of the Red Sea. It is well known that the property of this island has been long claimed both by the Imautn and by the Shah of Persia, and that these two sovereigns had, in a certain manner, divided the nominal possession.

The French Squadron In China.—Letters from Hong Kong, of the 10th May, state that at that date the Capricieuse, French frigate; the Marceau, steamer; and the Nisus, brig, were in the roadstead. The Virginia, frigate, was on a cruise visiting the other ports of theCelestial Empire, and was to sail for the Philippine I-lai.ds about the 20th. She was to wait at Manilla for the arrival of the Nemesis, which left France in January last. Rear-Admiral Guerin was then to give up the command of the squadron to Rear-Admiral Rigault de Genouilly, who has his flag on board the Nemesis, and return to France.

Capture Of A Slaver By The "Prometheus."—The following letter from the coast of Africa arrived by the last African mail:—"Sierra Leone, May 24.—I send you an account of a rich prize captured off Lagos on the 16th of April, with upwards of £5,000 in gold on board for the purchase of a cargo of slaves, which was made prize of and sent on board Her Majesty'* •team-sloop Prometheus, 5 guns, Commander Charles W. Hope. On tbe ltilh of April, while tbe Prometheus was making a passage from Lagos to the Island of St. Thomas, she observed a sail in the offing, and, as she appeared to be beating to windward, the Prometheus altered course and chased her, and upon nearing her she was observed to tack and keep away, and, thinking she was not observed, made all possible sail, setting studdingsail wilh the hope of getting away, at the same time throwing overboard a quantity of her cargo, also her anchors and cables, and sawing her beams through to allow the vessel to work. Upon the Prometheus coming up with her about 6 p.m., and firing a gun, she hoisted Spanish colours, whereupon Mr. Jameson, master of the Prometheus, was sent on board her, and from the vagueness of the answers to the questions put by him, that officer proceeded to search the vessel, and found under a eargo of bread, flour, rice, hales nf tobacco, and cases of goods, the leagers were full of water, planks for slave deck, and all the other gear complete for a slave cargo. When the slaver's papers were demanded be stated he had none; he was therefore at once made prize of. The crew and money (upwards of £5,000) were removed to the Prometheus, and on the 18th, after having made a good search and all the necessary papers having been made out, she parted company with the Prometheus, and, after a passage of twentyone days, arrived in Sierra Leone, in charge of Mr. Jameson as prize master, where she was condemned in the Vice-Admiralty Court on the 20th of May, after which the prize officer and crew embarked on board the Hecla for passage to rejoin their vessel. This fine prize was an American brigantine, named the Adams Gray, of New Orleans, where she fitted out and shipped all her stores."

Important Decision With Regard To Officers' Messes.—C. H. Parkis Jun.,s. Ward-room Officers of H.M.S. Malacca.—On the 25th ult., the plaintiff, a butcher in Portsea, summoned the caterer of the ward-room mess of H.M.S. Malacca before the County Court at Portsmouth, for the balance of an account alleged to be due to him by the ward-room officers of that ship. The defence set up was, that the defendants had paid their steward regularly for what he had purchased for them, as appeared by their hooks and receipts produced, and that they never authorized his running up an account with the plaintiff. His Honour, in giving judgment, observed to the plaintiff that as he had given credit to the steward of the ward-room officers without their authority, they were not liable, and he therefore must he non-suited. On the 27th also judgment was given for the above defendants, on the claim of one Taylor, a fruiterer of Portsea, who summoned them for the balance of an account contracted by their steward without authority.

The Nore Com Mand.—We have great pleasure in stating that Vice-Admiral Edward Harvey has been nominated to succeed Vice Admiral Gordon,as Command* r-in-Chief at the Nore. Theclaims of this gallant and excellent officer have been very properly recognized on this occasion, and the selection reflects no small credit upon the good judgment of Sir Charles Wood. Captain Henry Harvey, the Admiral's nephew, and a descendant from the Harvey of "Brunswick" fame, and whose last command was the Penelope, will be flag Captain. Mr. W. Dyer, Paymaster, late Secretary to Rear-Admiral the Hon. Sir R. S. Dtindas, will, it is believed, be the Vice-Admiral's Secretary.

The Portsmouth Command.—Thecommandat Portsmouth, vacant by the departure of Major Breton, who goes to the Mauritius, has been conferred on Major-General the Hon. Sir J. Yorke Scarlett. K.C.B., who distinguished himself at the head of the heavy cavalry in the Crimea. The appointment is well deserved, and will be popular not only in the service but wilh the people of Portsmouth, who have not experienced much hospitality and liberality at the hands of the Lieutenant-Governor since the depatture of the late lamented Lord Frederick Fitzclarence.


A Meeting of the Royal National Life-Boat Institution was held at its house, John-street, Adelphi, on the 2nd July; Thomas Chapman, Esq., V.P., F.R.S.. in the chair. There were also present Admiral Bertie Cator, Captain Ellis, P1.N., Admiral Sir Thomas Herbert, K.C.B., Lord Alfred Paget, M.P., Captain Perrnt, James Peake, Esq., Alex. Boetefeur, Esq., Rev. C. B. Gribble, M.A., Admiral Saum&rez, K.L., George Lyall, Esq., Captain Hall, R.N., C.B., F.R.S., Captain Washington, R.N., F.R.S., and Captain Ward, R.N., inspector of life-boats to the institution. Mr. Lewis, the Secretary, read the minutes of the previous meeting. A reward of £0 was voted to two men, in testimony of their gallant conduct in rescuing, at the peril of their lives, one out of four persons, whose boat had, during a gale of wind, foundered in Kenmare Bay. Whilst trawling in the bay a heavy squall struck the boat, and threw her on her beam ends. She filled and went down almost immediately. Her crew consisted of four men, three of whom, either entangled in the rigging or struck by some spars, though able to swim, never appeared again on the surface. The fourth, who was a very powerful man, and a remarkable swimmer, succeeded in getting rid of his clothes, and boldly struck out towards the land, which was distant about three-quarters of a mile. The accident was perceived from the shore by a number of persons; two men volunteered to make an effort to save any survivor, and in spite of the opposition of their wives and families, who clung to them, they ran their boat into the water. She was laden at the time with a cargo of manure, which was of much value to these poor men. This they readily threw into the sea, and pulled steadily towards the place where the vessel had disappeared. The sea was tremendously high, but they persevered until they reached the spot, where the survivor was still struggling, having been half an hour in the water. They rescued him, and succeeded with great difficulty, their boat shipping several heavy seas, in regaining the shore; the three other men had unfortunately sunk to rise no more. A reward of £2 was also granted to four men, in consideration of their prompt and laudable conduct in putting off and rescuing two persons who had been capsized from their boat, near Kilrush, on the 27th June. The boat had been run into by another boat, the crew of which, it was said, had refused to stop their vessel, or to render any assistance to the men, who were struggling in the sea, and whose lives were only saved by the promptitude of a small boat which had put off from the shore to their assistance. The thanks of the institution were voted to Mr.George Stark, assistant harbour-master at Leith, and to six other men, for putting off in a steam tug, and rescuing four out of six persons, who were capsized from a boat on the Blackwater Rocks, Leith, on the night of the 30th of May. Major Stokes, R.E., one of the Members of the European commission of the Danube, had requested, through Captain Washington, R.N., the institution to build for the commissioners a life-boat, to be placed at the mouth of the Danube. The society accordingly ordered, at its previous meeting, a life-boat on Mr. Peake's plan to be built. Captain Martin, the intelligent harbour-master of Ramsgate, presented to the institution an ingenious model for converting an ordinary boat into a life-boat by an easy contrivance and simple means, and also that of a life-raft expeditiously put together. Captain Martin stated that the Northumberland life-boat and steam-tug of the Puinisgato Royal Harbour Trust had, during the last five years, been off 58 times on service. A communication was read from the Shipwrecked Fishermen and Mariners' Society, relative to the foundation of an hospital for worn-out merchant seamen, towards the establishment of which that excellent society is about to contribute £5,000. By the lamented death of Miss Anna Gurney the institution has lost a valuable coadjutor and a liberal subscriber to its funds. She had for a very long period taken a deep interest in the preservation of life from shipwreck; at her house in Northrepps, Norfolk, she had a mortar life-preserving apparatus always ready for instantaneous service, either night or day, in the use of which she took care to train her butler. She was also the inventor of a hand mortar apparatus for throwing a line from a life-boat to a wrecked ship. It was said that Mrs. Peterson, of Bromley, had left the institution a legacy of £100. The proceedings then closed.

« PreviousContinue »