« PreviousContinue »
DELIVERED TO THE CLERGY
THE DIOCESE OF GLOUCESTER,
CLERICAL VIGILANCE, AGAINST RELIGIOUS
1. The Apostles, early Fathers, and later eminent Divines were intent on correcting Errors in Religion.
2. The discordance of opinions among Protestants is not to to be charged on the Reformation of Religion in the British Empire.
3. The Reformers of our English Church drew up a Rule of Faith, with the view of preserving Uniformity in Belief and Worship.
4. The several instances of departure from that rule will be noticed by the Clergy, who will adopt the best method of opposing Errors.
5. The Clergy will examine Books, which contain erroneous Doctrin es.
6. Compared with some tenets now holden, the Doctrines even of Socinus might be commended.
7. Socinianism has been exchanged for a new species of Unitarianism.
8. The standard of that new species is considered. 9. It is impossible that the Clergy should adopt the Standard of modern Unitarianism.
10. The works and names are mentioned of some few, among the many Authors, who within the course of seven years last past, have maintained our received Doctrines, and who professedly have written against the Unitarian version of the New Testament.