The Harrow School Register, 1801-1893

Front Cover
Reginald Courtenay Welch
Longmans, Green, 1894 - 784 pages
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Selected pages

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 677 - The cost was defrayed by 101 the Subscriptions of many Friends as a mark of respect and regard to the memory of the Honourable Robert Grimston. 1885. In the year 1885 the Honourable Ion Grant Neville Keith- Falconer, instituted in memory of his late Father, Francis Alexander Keith-Falconer, eighth Earl of Kintore, four annual Prizes for the promotion of the Study of the Holy Scriptures. Since the lamented death of Mr. Keith-Falconer, his widow has expressed a desire to continue these prizes in his...
Page 167 - Hogge served at the siege and fall of Sebastopol (Medal with Clasp, and Turkish Medal).
Page 675 - ... In the year 1863 Joseph Jones, Esq., founded an Annual Prize of a Gold Medal for the best exercise in Latin Elegiac Verse. The prize was instituted in memory of his son Joseph Jones, who died at Harrow on the 25th of September, 1862, being at the time Head Boy among the Scholars. In the same year, Beriah Botfield, Esq., FRS, founded by bequest a Scholarship of .60 a year for three years. In the same year, the Rev. William Oxenham, MA, Lower Master of the School, founded by bequest two Annual...
Page 675 - In the year 1855 a new School Building was erected in the neighbourhood of the School Chapel ; the expense was defrayed by Subscriptions of the Masters of the School and the Parents of the Scholars. In the years 1854-5 the Chancel and North Aisle of a new School Chapel were erected ; and opened for Divine Service on Founder's Day, October nth, 1855. The Chancel was the gift of the Rev. Charles John Vaughan, DD, then Head Master of the School ; the cost of the North Aisle was defrayed by Subscriptions...
Page 149 - ... Brigadier-General Charles Henry Kennedy, CB. RMLI, had served thirty-six years in the corps. — General Sir Horace Montagu was the son of the late Rev. George Montagu and was born in 1823. Educated at Shrewsbury, he joined the Royal Engineers in 1842, and on the outbreak of the war with Russia proceeded to the Crimea, and was present at the battles of Alma and Inkerman. He was six times mentioned in dispatches, and as a reward for his services he received the brevet ranks of major and lieutenant-colonel,...
Page 675 - Museum. 1866. In the year 1866 a large and valuable Playing Field was purchased for the School by Voluntary Contributions from the Governors, Masters, former Scholars and other friends of the School. In the same year John Edward Bourchier, Esq., Head Boy among the Scholars in 1862, founded four Annual Prizes for the encouragement of the study of Modern History and English Literature. 1869. In the year 1869 the Lord Charles James Fox Russell founded an Annual Prize of a Gold Medal, to be called the...
Page 677 - Esq_., purchased for the use of the School a valuable Playing Field adjoining the Cricket Ground. 1892. During the year 1892 this ground was laid out as a Cricket Field, at the expense of friends and former Members of the School. 1893. In the year 1893 New Pavilions were erected on the Cricket Fields, in memory of two much-loved Harrovians, the Reverend William Law and Cyril Digby Buxton, Esq. In the same year an addition was made to the old Cricket Field through the generosity of Edward Ernest Bowen,...
Page 17 - April, 1805, and April, 1829, can only claim to be approximately correct. Unfortunately Dr. Butler's f entrance book was lost many years ago, and the following lists have, therefore, been compiled from a careful comparison of such School lists as are still extant. These lists, unlike our present Bill Books, were never official publications, but appear to have been made by the boys themselves ; presumably as they listened to the calling of the Bill, for the spelling is in many cases purely phonetic.
Page 685 - III. That the Company for the revision of the Authorised Version of the New Testament consist of the Bishops of Winchester, Gloucester and Bristol, and Salisbury, and of the following members from the Lower House : the Prolocutor, the Deans of Canterbury and Westminster, and Canon Blakesley.
Page 675 - Oxenham. 1864. In the years 1864 and 1865 large additions were made to the School play buildings, at the expense of the Masters, Scholars and former members of the School. 1865. In the year 1865 a spire was added to the School Chapel as a memorial to the aforenamed Rev. William Oxenham, for thirty-seven years a Master of the School.

Bibliographic information