Page images




The finances of the Mission. The amount usually received during the first quarter of the official year is comparatively small; but we regret to say that, during the past quarter it has been smaller than usual. At the present time, not only is the balance with which the year commenced quite exhausted, but more than £600 is due to the bank, on which interest has, of course, to be paid. Under these circumstances we deem it right to make the constituents of the Mission acquainted with the facts of the case; and we trust that they will leave no measures untried to prevent a decline in the funds. Will the pastors, deacons, and lay preachers kindly see that their churches are organized for mission work, and that the organization is kept in working order. Even small subscriptions, regularly collected, will realize a large amount, without pressing heavily upon the subscribers. And, bad as the times are, there are but few individuals who, under the influence of Christ's love, could not spare a small sum weekly towards the cause of the Redeemer in heathen lands.

Moreover, to make up for the poverty of some, are there not others whom the Lord has prospered, who, without depriving themselves of a single comfort, might increase the amount of their contribution. As God hath prospered him," is a rule often overlooked when deciding upon the amount of money to contribute to His cause. Indeed, we know business men, tradesmen and manufacturers, who are giving no more now than they gave as children. Moreover there are well to do married couples who content themselves by giving a subscription of five shillings a year, who, as boys and girls, used to give a penny a week, or eight and eightpence a year. We knew an old subscriber to the Mission who died several years since worth his thousands. Forty years ago, when a poor man, he gave ten shillings a year to the Mission, and when a prosperous tradesman he only contributed a like amount. These things ought not so to be, and would not, if looked at in the light of Calvary and eternity. 1 Tim. vi. 17, 19.

In analyzing the subscription lists as published in the Annual Report for 1878, we find that they contained, 1 subscriber of £20

20 of £3, and under £4 7 of £10, and under £20

51 of £2,

£3 3 of £6

197 of £1,

£2 29 of £5

344 of 10s.,

£1 6 of £4

356 of 5s.



The total amount, from the above subscriptions, is under £1,000. Nor should it be forgotten that not a few of these sums were contributed by Christians of other denominations. On the other hand there are many persons whose names do not appear, who, in small sums to different collectors, contribute most liberally to the sacred cause.

Whether, however, poorer or richer, only let each ask himself, “How much owest thou unto my Lord ?" and give according to his obligations ; then there will be no lack of funds with which to sustain and extend our missionary operations in Orissa and Rome.

[ocr errors]

Letter from Beb. 3. &. Yhillips.



We have much pleasure in laying before our readers the following communication from Dr. James Phillips, especially that part of it which refers to our late esteemed and venerable sister, Mrs. Amos Sutton. Up to the time of her death she contributed, as “A Friend,” £10 per annum for a native preacher, and bequeathed to the Society nearly £400. “The only directions,” said her executor, “in Mrs. Sutton's Will regarding the application of the funds are as follows: 'to be expended by said Society in training Oriya preachers in Orissa, India, according to the wish of my late husband." "This also that she hath done, shall be spoken of as a memorial of her.”

Midnapore, India, Aug. 27, 1879. remained in India. Of these twenty the My dear brother Hill, -I am heartily greater part have gone to their reward. ashamed for not having written you be- Of those still living I believe my father fore this, but the fact is, I have been just is the last to quit the foreign field. buried with work. Ever since my dear I hope you are encouraged in your parents left us last June, and more par- work. How very sad about brother ticularly since the Bachelers went away Bailey's second bereavement.

I hope to the hills, in consequence of greatly your Society will be sending out fresh impaired health, it has seemed as though

men soon to Orissa.

You have always there was no end of work here.

been far ahead of us in responding to the I greatly enjoy reading the General

wants of your foreign field. Baptist Magazine, and shall try to keep

May I ask a favour of you? Can you in mind my promise to send you some

send me a copy of your new Year Book ? thing occasionally for it. It may interest

I wish to see the Foreign and Home Missome of your readers to see something about dear Mrs. Sutton, who died during

sion Statistics, also those of the churches.

With kindest regards, our stay in America. I have hurriedly

Yours fraternally, put down a fow lines. She was a noble

JAMES L. PHILLIPS. My dear father left Calcutta on the

MRS. Amos SUTTON. 17th of June last, and is in New York now in all probability. He and dear In a recent number of the General mother will not return to Orissa. His Baptist Magazine I was reading some health for three years back was very poor, interesting reminiscences of that devoted and it seemed to be his duty to leave the missionary of the cross, the Rev. Amos. tropics. We are hoping that our Board Sutton. While in America for my furwill send us a new man in his place soon; lough I not unfrequently heard bis name; but it will be years before any now man and in several instances, from the lips of can fill his place.

Christian men and women, I heard full Father came to India in 1836. There and eulogistic sketches of his sermons were twenty missionaries in that ship and addresses on foreign missions. There that came around the Cape of Good Hope. can be no doubt that Dr. Sutton received Some of them went to Burmah, the others a most hearty welcome, and his cause a




very friendly hearing, wherever he went in the United States. Of the quiet and extremely sensitive woman, the partner of his toils and triumphs, to whom ho owed his introduction to American Christians, and much of his popularity in American pulpits, hardly anything is known outside of the narrow circle of her own secluded life.

One winter evening I had been speaking in one of the best of New England churches. The following morning I chanced to meet a venerable man in the street, who said—“I was very much interested in what you were saying about Orissa, particularly in your references to that remarkable man, Dr. Sutton, whom I well recollect. He was my guest while in B- - He told me many things about India which I shall never forget; and he told me how it was he came to America. The story, as I now recall it, was like this-Dr. Sutton had been preaching in the bazaars of Cuttack. The people were very noisy, and interrupted his discourse with vigorous shouts of haribol,' and other favourite exclamations. Quite tired out he returned home, saying to Mrs. Sutton, as he entered their house, 'what can such a little handful of us accomplish among these multitudes of bigoted Hindoos ?' The Orissa Mission was weak and greatly needed reinforcements. The missionary's wife thought awhile; then spoke words of hope to cheer his fainting heart. There are,' said she, “Christians in America whose views of scripture truth accord with yours. They are open communion Baptists. They have no foreign missions. Perhaps you might prevail upon them to take a part in this great work of evangelizing Orissa.'”

This timely suggestion resulted in opening up a correspondence with the Free Baptists of New England, and later in the visit of Dr. Sutton to America. Returning to India in 1836, he had the pleasure of bringing with him the first two missionaries of the Free Baptist Church to Orissa. Several years later Dr. Sutton was in America again, and received everywhere a most enthusiastic welcome. His addresses, on this last occasion, were full of genuine missionary zoal and hope, and they produced a powerful effect in the churches.

It was my privilege to meet Mrs. Sutton a number of times during the last two years of her life. Living with relatives in Boston, or its immediate vicinity, she was waiting patiently, still with eager longing, for the coming of her Lord. The

perfect peace of those last years was another living illustration of what our blessed Saviour has been doing for His aged ones, faint and feeble from life's long and weary day, through all the centuries. It was sweet to commune with her during life's bright evening. As her pilgrimage approached its end her hope in Christ grow clearer and firmer. Once she spoke of occasional doubts flitting across her mind; but none of these could find a resting place in a heart so full of faith, so near the portals of endless bliss.

Mrs. Sutton's ardent interest in foreign missions never declined in the least. She often inquired for fresh news from Burmah, her first field of labour, and from Cuttack. Her offerings for the blessed enterprise to which she consecrated her life in the fervour and freshness of her youth, ended only with her death. One of the last acts of her life which I recall was a gift for the Missionary Board. It was just like her to say, in passing out the money,“Please do not let my name appear with this.” I have repeatedly heard her

say that if youth and vigour could come again, she would again devote her all to the precious work of teaching the heathen the way of life. Did over true missionary toiler at his journey's end feel otherwise ?

Deputation work had called me hundreds of miles from that quiet New England home when the last summons camo for this waiting and watching saint. There were believers there who heard her last testimony, closed her eyes in death, and buried the spiritless clay till the glorious morning of the resurrection. A few select friends attended the funeral. So secludedly had she been living during these last few years that many did not know of her death till weeks afterwards. When I next called at the quiet cottage in W- Street, she had been at rest for more than a month. The sweet serenity of her mind continued till the end. How touchingly beautiful the lines of Barbauld, and how true of the dying saint“ So fades a summer cloud away;

So sinks the gale when storms are o'er; So gently shuts the eye of day;

So dies a wave along the shore." Mrs. Sutton was born on Christmasday, 1796, and was therefore in her eightieth year when she died in the spring of 1876.

May many women of like faith follow her to the dark shores of benighted Orissa, until the morning come, and this land be full of light.


By the death of Dr. Mullens the cause of Foreign Missions has lost one of its ablest and most devoted advocates. Born in London, September 2nd, 1820, Joseph Mullens joined the church at Barbican Chapel in 1836. In 1837 he entered Coward College, and in 1841 he took the degree of B.A. at the University of London. In June, 1842, he offered himself to the London Missionary Society as a candidate for missionary service, and on the 9th of the following September he sailed for Calcutta. In 1845 he married a daughter of Mr. Lacroix-a lady of considerable ability-and whose literary productions and devotion to female education and Zenana visitation, will long continue to bless the daughters of India. In 1846 Mr. Mullens became the pastor of the native church at Bhowanipore, Calcutta, which office he held until 1866, when he finally quitted India. During this period his labours were great and manifold. His active mind ranged over the entire field of Christian Missions, while his busy pen recorded a large amount of information. His letters for periodicals, articles for reviews, prize essays and other works testify to his ability and industry. In 1852 he commenced the decennial statistics of Missions in India and Ceylon, and, which it is hoped, may be continued every ten years.

In the year 1849, Mr. Mullens, accompanied by his honoured father-in-law, Mr. Lacroix, paid a visit to Orissa and Pooree, with which both were highly gratified. On their return to Calcutta they each published an account of their visit, and Mr. Mullens wrote “The Orissa Mission may justly claim the title of the great preaching Mission of the Bengal Presidency.”

In 1858 he returned to England on furlough, and in 1860 he took a prominent part in the Missionary Conference in Liverpool. He subsequently returned to India, and in 1861 received the degree of D.D., from William College, Massachusetts. In 1865 he was invited to be associated with Dr. Tidman in the Foreign Secretaryship of the London Missionary Society; and after visiting the Missions of the Society in India and China, he returned to England and entered upon his work. In 1870 he was appointed as deputation to America, and in 1873 he went as deputation to Madagascar.

At the Conference on Foreign Missions held in October, 1878, at Mildmay Park, Dr. Mullens took a leading part and edited the interesting volume of the Proceedings. To the writer he spoke cheerfully and hopefully, and appeared in his usual health. In parting there little was it thought that we should not meet again on earth.

Dr. Mullens's soul was deeply stirred by the statements respecting Central Africa, and the loss of Mr. Thompson did but stimulate his ardour. He offered to accompany reinforcements to Zanzibar, where it was hoped a senior missionary from Madagascar would join the Mission party and accompany the five young brethren into the interior. Disappointed in this, Dr. Mullens resolved to go himself. In his last letter to the Directors, dated May 30th, he writes :

“ It seems to me, therefore, that the Directors will now consider it but a natural and necessary use of the discretion' they have given me, that I shall formally join our new expedition and endeavour as speedily and comfortably as possible to reach Ujiji and the brethren there. I do this diffidently, calmly, with a deep sense of my own lack of youth and vigour, and of the grave external perils around us. But I do so believing that the call has come direct from God; that He has given me the grace to hear and accept it; and I do it in firm reliance upon His promised presence and help in service asked for by Himself. And in it all I rest also on the many prayers already offered by the Directors and friends of the Society on my behalf, and on those which will continue to be offered in the days to come. Let me add that I am anxious to complete my present duties as soon as circumstances allow, and, if spared, to resume my place among you, and render to the Society a better service than ever hitherto.”

On June 13th, the party started for the interior. In a letter dated Mpwapwa, July 16th, 1879, Dr. Southron, one of the party, thus refers to Dr. Mullens's last days :

“From the time of arriving at Zanzibar, Dr. Mullens took an active part in everything that was being done in the way of preparation, plans, &c. We ever TAE LATE REV. DR. MULLENS.


worked harmoniously together, and, while his age did not permit him to do much of the active practical work of the expedition, still he did his share, and as much as he could. It is a pleasure for me to recall his many acts of selfdenial, in order to save others work or worry-his constant solicitude for the welfare of others, especially for Mr. Griffith and myself, and his constant habit of carrying everything to the throne of grace for Divine help and guidance.

“Dr. Mullens found a serious obstacle to his progress in the long, rank grass, which grows in great abundance in all the valleys and low-lying lands. He was, of course, carried in an iron chair, which was made at Zanzibar. Eight men were appointed as his personal bearers. The chair was slung between two bamboo poles, and four men then carried it on their shoulders. As the men were two abreast, they had to walk on either side of the path, instead of in it, as all the paths are only wide enough for one person to walk in at a time. Dr. Mullens's men were therefore obliged to walk in the thick grass, hence their slow progress. At Mkange we halted a day to re-adjust loads, and to alter Dr. Mullens's chair. After a few hours' labour I contrived, by inserting a pole between the other two, and lashing a few cross pieces to it, to get a chair which the men could carry, and still be able to keep the centre of the path. This did very well for a time, but as it was really very heavy, I afterwards, at Kikwazo, rigged up an ordinary iron camp chair, in which Dr. Mullens was carried the remainder of the journey. Everything worked smoothly and harmoniously; the men did their work willingly and cheerfully, and though the poor, dear doctor was generally tired out, and a little late in getting in to camp, a cup of cocoa or tea and a little rest sufficed to restore him to his wonted health and spirits. He hardly ever complained of anything except the patches of long grass, and, though on one occasion he was travelling from 6.30 a.m. till 2 p.m. without food, he, in a few hours, was quite himself again.

Generally speaking, Dr. Mullens did not find the hardships of camp life so bad as he anticipated. He was ever expressing his appreciation of our excellent tents, so warm at night, so cool in the day, and so comfortable. He thoroughly appreciated the various articles of native food which we were able to procure, and with our own store of English provisions we never lacked for food.

Dr. Mullens frequently walked considerable distances, and once did a whole march with me without being carried at all. At first he used to walk to ease the men, subsequently it was for the pleasure which a good walk often gives to a person in good health. On arriving in camp, his bed, bis tent, &c., being ready, he would lie down for an hour, or, if not very tired, busy himself with any little thing he wished to do. After our second breakfast, generally an hour or so after arriving in camp, he would write his journal, &c. Then, as soon as the heat of the day was somewhat gone, if any hills were near he would get a native to tell him their names; any distant mountains he always 'took' with the theodolite or prismatic compass. At noon occasionally he got meridians of the sun.

“With my robust health and strength I frequently said it was a mere picnic -no trouble, no care, no anxiety. To this Dr. Mullens agreed, except that abominable long grass.' 'If,' he said, 'I could devise means by which one could be carried without discomfort to oneself or the men, then it would be an unmitigated pleasure to travel in this part of Africa.' • You see,' he said on another occasion, the climate is simply delightful; cold nights make a double blanket desirable, but who cares for cold when in such tents as ours ? Then, again, the heat is never really great. I have not found it at any time more than 78 deg., and we always travel in the coolest part of the day.'

“ To Mr. Griffith and myself he was as a father dependent on the help of his sons, yet respected and loved by each. Every day raised him in my estimation, till I had a regard for him which I might have for a loved father or an elder brother.

“It was at Kitange, Saturday, July 5th, 150 miles from Saadani, that Dr. Mullens first caught a severe cold, after having ascended a high hill for the purpose of taking observations. Being much exhausted when he

came down, I was hoping that he would suggest that we stay the following Sunday there, instead of going on that day, as we had intended. But the arrival of Dr. Baxter, of the Church Missionary Society, from Mpwapwa, who was on his way to the coast, and a good breakfast, led him to attempt the journey to Rubeho,

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
« PreviousContinue »