Doing Qualitative Research: A Practical Handbook
David Silverman's seminal Doing Qualitative Research can justifiably claim to be `the supervisor in your pocket' for all PhD and Masters students embarking on their own qualitative research project.
This hugely popular textbook has been fully revised and updated and is one of the few books available that can claim to be essential reading for anyone planning their own research project.
Written in a lively, accessible style, this step-by-step guide provides answers to all the questions students ask when beginning their first research project. Silverman demonstrates how to learn the craft of qualitative research by applying knowledge about different methods to actual data. He provides practical advice on key issues, such as: defining `originality' and narrowing down a topic; keeping a research diary and writing a research report; and presenting research to different audiences.
Features of Doing Qualitative Research: Second Edition include:
- six new chapters
- case studies of students' own experiential accounts of doing research
- essential guidance on practical issues such as working with your supervisor or writing up your research
- end-of-chapter 'researcher's checklists'
- a range of examples from across the full range of social science disciplines, including sociology, education, health studies and business studies
- the latest discussions of CAQDAS and E-research
- an all new and extended methods glossary
Doing Qualitative Research: Second Edition retains Silverman's uniquely accessible, hands-on style, walking the student through every aspect of the process of actually doing a qualitative research project.
Packed with case studies and examples of students' experiences, the book has many features to aid study, including overviews, summaries of key skills and a glossary of terms. Each stage in the research process is grounded in worked examples based on the experiences of real students, with exercises designed both to test readers' knowledge and to encourage the development of practical skills.