« PreviousContinue »
Issachar, Zebulon, and Benjamin, Dan and Naphtali, Gad and Asher. And Joseph died, and all his brethren, and all that generation. And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed. exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them.
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.
Nebuchadnezzar the king made an image of gold: he set it up in the plain of Dura, in the province of Babylon. All the rulers of the provinces were gathered together unto the dedication of the image that Nebuchadnezzar the king had şet up: and they stood before the image. Then an herald cried aloud, To you it is commanded, 0 people, nations, and languages, that at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, and all kinds of music, ye fall down and worship the golden image: and whoso falleth not down and worshippeth shall the same hour be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace. Therefore, at that time, when all the people heard the sound of the cornet, and all kinds of music, all the people fell down and worshipped the golden image.
At that time certain Chaldeans came near and accused the Jews: and said, Thou, O king, hast made a decree, that every man that shall hear the sound of the cornet and all kinds of music, shall fall down and worship the golden image: and whoso falleth not down and worshippeth, that he should be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace. There are certain Jews whom thou hast set over the affairs of the province of Babylon, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego: these men, O king, have not regarded thee: they serve not thy gods, nor worship the golden image wbich thou hast set up. Then Nebuchadnezzar in his rage and fury, commanded to bring Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego: and said unto them, Do not ye serve my gods? nor worship the golden image? Who is that God that shall deliver
you out of my hands.
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter. Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image. Then was Nebuchadnezzar full of fury, and
commanded that they should heat the furnace one seven times more than it was wont to be heated. And he commanded the most mighty men that were in his army to cast them into the burning fiery furnace. And the flame of the fire slew those men that took up Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. And these three men fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace. Then the king was astonished, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counseìlors: Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the file : and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God." Then Nebuchadnezzar came near to the mouth of the fur: nace and spake, and said, Ye servants of the most high God, come forth, and come hither. And the king's counsellors saw these men, upon whose bodies the fire had no power.
Then Nebuchadnezzar spake, and said, Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who hath sent his angel, and delivered his servants that trusted in him, and have changed the king's word, and yielded their bodies, that they might not serve nor worship any god except their own God.
The Ten Commandments. * 1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me,
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, and showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it wou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy man servant, nor thy maid servant, nor thy 'cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day, wherefore the Lord blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it.
5. Honour thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
6. Thou shalt not kill. 7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. -8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house: thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife:, nor his man servant, nor his maid servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
History of Christ.
HIS BIRTH-FIRST PART.
Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews ? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. And they said unto him, in Bethlehem of Judea: for thus it is written by the prophet, And thou Bethlehem in the land of Juda, are not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel. Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, inquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.
And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also. When