Broadband Circuits for Optical Fiber Communication
An expert guide to the new and emerging field of broadband circuits for optical fiber communication
This exciting publication makes it easy for readers to enter into and deepen their knowledge of the new and emerging field of broadband circuits for optical fiber communication. The author's selection and organization of material have been developed, tested, and refined from his many industry courses and seminars. Five types of broadband circuits are discussed in detail:
* Transimpedance amplifiers
* Limiting amplifiers
* Automatic gain control (AGC) amplifiers
* Lasers drivers
* Modulator drivers
Essential background on optical fiber, photodetectors, lasers, modulators, and receiver theory is presented to help readers understand the system environment in which these broadband circuits operate. For each circuit type, the main specifications and their impact on system performance are explained and illustrated with numerical values. Next, the circuit concepts are discussed and illustrated with practical implementations. A broad range of circuits in MESFET, HFET, BJT, HBT, BiCMOS, and CMOS technologies is covered. Emphasis is on circuits for digital, continuous-mode transmission in the 2.5 to 40 Gb/s range, typically used in SONET, SDH, and Gigabit Ethernet applications. Burst-mode circuits for passive optical networks (PON) and analog circuits for hybrid fiber-coax (HFC) cable-TV applications also are discussed.
Learning aids are provided throughout the text to help readers grasp and apply difficult concepts and techniques, including:
* Chapter summaries that highlight the key points
* Problem-and-answer sections to help readers apply their new knowledge
* Research directions that point to exciting new technological breakthroughs on the horizon
* Product examples that show the performance of actual broadband circuits
* Appendices that cover eye diagrams, differential circuits, S parameters, transistors, and technologies
* A bibliography that leads readers to more complete and in-depth treatment of specialized topics
This is a superior learning tool for upper-level undergraduates and graduate-level students in circuit design and optical fiber communication. Unlike other texts that concentrate on analog circuits in general or mostly on optics, this text provides balanced coverage of electronic, optic, and system issues. Professionals in the fiber optic industry will find it an excellent reference, incorporating the latest technology and discoveries in the industry.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.