Page images

13th. Though we wished to have some conversation with the Killinek people, as they cannot often come to Okkak, yet we thought it adviseable to lose no time, and, with the ebb-tide, passed through the Ikkerasak in perfect safety. When, about 1 P. M. the tide turned, we ran into a cove on the south side, and at 5 P. M. anchored in the lagoon above described, (See page 43), the entrance to which will only admit a boat.

14th. Reached Oppernavik, where we first met Uttakiyok.

I5th. Set sail with a gentle breeze, which permitted us to have our Sunday's service on deck. The wind, however, soon turning against us, we were compelled to return to our former anchorage.

16th and 17th. We were unpleasantly detained by wind and rain, and on the latter day much snow fell.

18th. Reached Kikkertarsoak about 1 P. M. Our men went out in their kayaks, and returned in the evening with three seals. The night was fair, with beautiful appearances of the Aurora Borealis.

19th. The morning was calm: some indications of approaching storm made us anxious to proceed. We set out early; but a fog coming on, we came again to an anchor off a barren island. After staying here two hours, hoping for a favourable change, Jonathan proposed to proceed, and steered S. W. not knowing rightly where we were. On this occasion, we could not help admiring the composure of the Esquimaux. But having last night made a hearty meal of the provisions they had acquired, they seemed to take things easy, and thought it would all be right in the end. So it turned out; for by and by we saw the continent, and kept along shore, till we got to the promontory Kakkeviak, where, on our passage, we had nearly suffered shipwreck. (See page 38). Here we cast anchor in a wide shallow bay, and spent a quiet night.

20th. The fog had dispersed, and the wind was favour^

able, though shifting from W. to N.W. N. and N. E. At 7 P. M. we reached Kumaktorvik, and found good anchorage dose to the Esquimaux winter-houses; but we were disappointed by finding them empty, the people being probably out on the reindeer-hunt. There were four houses standing, apparently not old, and the traces of eight others, situated on a low point of land, well covered with grass, and surrounded by high mountains.

21st. Wind N. W. set sail by break of day; reached Nennoktok about noon, and steered across Sifhgmiyok bay, for the northern promontory in Nachvak bay. Sangmiyok bay is full of breakers, and the sea running pretty high, they appeared very distinctly. The wind dying away in the afternoon, we got no farther than the steep rocks under which we had spent the night of July the 18th, where we came to an anchor. A heavy swell from the sea, and violent gusts of wind assailing us in all directions from the mountains, gave us much uneasiness; but, by the protecting care of God, we suffered no harm.

22d. It blew hard from the N. W. and prevented our running into Nachvak bay. Our situation being highly dangerous, and the wind favouring our proceeding, we determined to pass by Nachvak. But having sailed across the bay, our captain found it impossible to proceed, and thought proper to come to an anchor. The truth was, that he had left some articles here in a cove, which he wished to secure. We therefore went on shore, and found many fragments of the bones of whales, whence we inferred that whales are sometimes cast on shore in this place.

23d. A heavy storm came on from the N. W. To-day we caught the first cod-fish, which proved a very acceptable change of diet for us and our people. '24th. The morning was calm. Wind E. left the cove and steered for Nachvak, and came^acciderUally, to the very place where Jonathan's goods were deposited. Not perceiv


ing any Esquimaux on shore, Jonathan and Thukkekina went up the bay in their kayaks in search of them. Meaawbile we landed, and on the declivity of a bill found a great quantity of green soapstone. In the evening Jonathan and Thukkekina returned with ten other Eqiumaux, who rejoiced to sec us again.

25th. Brother Kohlmeister 'Was engaged all day with the Esquimaux. Brother Kmoch went up the mountain, and brought some fine specimens of steatite. - ;/

26th. Wind strong at N. W. we set sail; hut the wind failing, we could not reach Saegkk, as proposed, but spent the night in the open sea. It passed, however, without any unpleasant occurrences.

27th. The want of wind prevented our getting to-day as far as tlie Saeglek islands. Having passed through a very narrow Ikkerasak, with hardly sufficient depth of water for so large a boat, we cast anchor near our former station at Kikkertarsoak.

28th. Wind cold and changeable, and towards evening stormy. . >

29th. Set sail about 6 A.M. with a strong wind at W. and in the evening had reached the Kangertlu&soai islands.

30th. It blew hard, with snow, and we were obliged to spend the day shut up in our small cabin by lamp-light. The land was covered with snow. We were detained here very unpleasantly for three days, by the violence of the wind and weather.

October 3d. We steered for the promontory of Kmimuyok, but the wind dying away, and at length turning to the .South, we could not gain any safe harbour, and were obliged to tack about all night in the open sea. The weather, howr ever, was mild, and we had the advantage of moon-light.

4th. At 7 A. M. we succeeded in passing the Northern Ikkerasak near cape Mugford with the tide, and the wind becoming fair, soon brought us among the Okkak islands. About noon we doubled cape Uivak, and perceived Esquimaux on shore, who ran up the hills, shouted for joy, and gave us by signs to understand, that the ship (the brig Jemima, sent annually with provisions to the settlements) was still at Okkak.

We cannot describe the inexpressible pleasure and gratitude to God our Saviour which we felt, when we again beheld the neighbourhood of Okkak, after an absence of fifteen weeks. As soon as the captain descried our boat approaching, he hoisted his colours, and fired some guns tp give notice of our arrival. As we were obliged to tack, to gain the entrance to the harbour, he came to meet us in the ship's boat, and about one o'clock we landed. The Missionaries and the Esquimaux met us with tears of joy and thankfulness, when we all joined in praise to God, who had so wonderfully kept His protectiug hand over us during this perilous voyage, and granted us to return home in safety.

Our voyage lasted from the 24th of June to the 4th of October, and we calculated it to be a distance of from 1200 to 1300 miles.

Benjamin Gottlieb Kohlmeister.
George Kmoch.

W, M'Dowall, Printer, Pembertm Row,

[ocr errors][ocr errors]
« PreviousContinue »