« PreviousContinue »
1. To God our strength sing loud, and clear, Sing loud to God our King;
To Jacob's God, that all may hear,
2. Prepare a hymn, prepare a song,
The cheerful psaltery bring along,
3. Blow, as is wont, in the new moon
The appointed time, the day whereon
4. This was a statute given of old
A law of Jacob's God, toJiold,
From whence they might not swerve.
5. This he a testimony ordain'd In Joseph, not to change,
When as he pass'd through Egypt land;
6. From burden, and from slavish toil,
1 set his shoulder free: His hands from pots, and miry soil,
Deliver'd were by me.
7. When trouble did thee sore assail, On me then didst thou call;
And I to free thee did not fail,
And led thee out of thrall.
With clouds encompass'd round;
Of Meriba renown'd.
. .•. , :.: . . ' O ii I.
8. Hear, O my People, hearken well; JY I testify to thee,
Thou ancient stock of Israel, , i;r. ,. ,.. IT .1! If thou wilt list to me.i. . .. .....,., ..., \. >""
.i r 9. Throughout the land of thy abode ': . i
No alien God shall be,
In honour bend thy knee.
10. I am the Lord thy God which brought
Ask large enough, and I, besought,
11. And yet my people would not hear,
And Israel, tvhorn I lov'd so dear,
12. Then did I leave them to their will,
Their own conceits they follow'd still,
13. O, that my people would be wise,
And O, that Israel would advise
14. Then would I soon bring down their foes. That now so proudly rise;
And turn my hand against all those,
15. Who hate the Lord should then be fain
To bow to him and bend; ...
But they, his people, should remain,
16. And he would feed them from the shock
With flower of finest wheat, And satisfy them from the rock
With honey for their meat.
1. God in the great assembly stands
Among the Gods, on both his hands,
2. How long will ye pervert the right With judgement false and wrong,
Favouring the wicked by your might,
S. Regard the weak and fatherless,
And raise the man in deep distress
4. Defend the poor and desolate,
Of wicked men the low estate
5. They know not, nor will understand, In darkness thev walk on •