Directing the Documentary
Directing the Documentary is a comprehensive manual that has inspired over 100,000 readers worldwide. If you are interested in making documentary films, everything you need technically and conceptually is here. Filled with practical advice on every stage of production, this is the book you will return to throughout your career.
Directing the Documentary covers the methods, technologies, thought processes, and judgments that a director must use throughout the fascinating process of making a film. It emphasizes low-cost digital technology, which allows cutting-edge creativity and professionalism on shoestring budgets. And, recognizing that you learn best by doing, the book includes dozens of practical hands-on projects and activities to help you master technical and conceptual skills.
Just as important as surmounting technological hurdles is the conceptual and authorial side of filmmaking. This book offers eminently practical tools and exercises to help you develop credible and compelling stories. It shows you how to surpass mere technical proficiency and become a storyteller with a distinctive voice and style.
* Comprehensive manual on the creative, technical, and artistic aspects of directing; become an inspired director!
* Includes dozens of practical exercises that demystify the complex process of making a documentary and make it achievable
* Realistic advice and encouragement from a highly regarded filmmaker, mentor, and teacher to help you on your path to making successful documentary films
* New companion website features tons of handy production checklists & forms, videos for some of the films discussed in the book, along with a master bibliography (access information for the companion site is located inside the book)
* "Remember Me" and "Project" boxes are now scattered throughout the text, pointing out key concepts and practical projects that students may undertake